House fire in Ensley likely began in the kitchen

(CBS42)
(CBS42)

[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=16×9&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1365545477&height=480&page_count=5&pf_id=9624&show_title=1&va_id=4011322&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=480 div_id=videoplayer-1365545477 type=script]BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — A fire broke out at a home in Ensley on Monday night and resulted in the death of the two people inside the home.

Fire investigators say the mother, an 81-year-old woman, died in the fire. Her son was transported to UAB Hospital where he died a short while later.

Birmingham Fire & Rescue Battalion Chief C. W. Mardis says the fire began in the kitchen. It is believed that food was left unattended.

The Birmingham Fire Department says it has fought more than two dozen house fires started by unattended food since February. Four of those fires have been fatal.

Chief Mardis says the issue is preventable if a couple of simple steps are taken.

First, double check the kitchen before leaving the house or going to bed. Make sure all appliances are turned off.

Second, never leave unattended food cooking on the stove. Mardis says fires can start in only a matter of seconds.

More safety tips can be found here: Fire prevention and safety tips

Copyright 2013 WIAT-TV CBS 42

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s