BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT)– Here are some tips from the IRS to avoid common mistakes when preparing your taxes.
– Filing electronically, whether through E-file or IRS free file, vastly reduces tax return errors.
– Make sure to mail a paper return to the right address.
– Take a close look at the tax tables, and be sure to use the correct column.
– Fill in all requested information clearly. Also, check only one filing status and the appropriate exemption boxes.
– Get the right routing and account numbers.
– Don’t forget to sign and date the return. If filing a joint return, both spouses must sign and date the return. E-filers can sign with a pin that they select.
– Attach all required forms, and keep a copy of the return.
– If you can’t meet the April 15 deadline, and you request a filing extension., that will prevent late filing penalties. However, tax payments are still due April 15.