[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=16×9&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1366668918&height=480&page_count=5&pf_id=9624&show_title=1&va_id=4027604&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=480 div_id=videoplayer-1366668918 type=script]MOUNT OLIVE, Ala. (WIAT) — It seemed like a typical Sunday night, but what awoke one family in Gardendale changed their lives forever.
Robert Lipscomb and his family lost everything to a tragic fire, including a cherished family member.
“In a matter of just a couple of minutes it was just everywhere,” Lipscomb said.
James, Robert’s bed-ridden nephew, was in the home at the time of the fire. The 45-year-old paraplegic is the only person who did not survive Monday’s blaze.
Robert and another family member tried numerous times to resuscitate James, but the fire and smoke outmatched them.
The smoke also kept those who were inside the house from getting to a phone.
Using only his voice, Robert screamed for help. He hoped and prayed that someone, anyone would hear his cries.
His neighbor, Carol Patrick, answered his call for help.
“I opened the door, and I saw,” Patrick said. “I went and grabbed my phone and called 911.”
Other neighbors called 911 as well, coming out of their homes to assist the Lipscomb family. They brought clothes and shoes for the family.
“You can always replace the material things. You can’t replace a loving heart,” Lipscomb said. “That’s what Jamie was. He was love.”
The family is receiving help from the Red Cross.
Investigators say the home is a total loss.
Copyright 2013 WIAT-TV CBS 42