[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=16×9&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1373374306&height=480&page_count=5&pf_id=9624&show_title=1&va_id=4132755&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=480 div_id=videoplayer-1373374306 type=script]
BIRMINGHAM, Ala (WIAT) – It’s one of the most popular video game series of all time, and it’s now available!
Tech Tuesday discusses the new NCAA 14 game, as the countdown to the season is on!
The following is our tech expert David Powell’s break down of the new game!
If you are a college football fan, and really, who isn’t in our viewing area, and you like video games, you have had today circled on the calendar for several months. Today is the day that EA Sports releases their newest version of the college football video game, NCAA14. You know football season is around the corner when this game comes out. Let’s explore:
* So, this game is popular? This game is always wildly popular, selling close to a million copies each year. Also, just as CBS42 is always the top market for college football broadcasts, Birmingham is always the number one market for this video game as well. The game started back in the 90s as Bill Walsh College Football and there has been an edition every year since. Fans wait every year for the new version to see how their team stacks up and to get a preview of the upcoming season.
* What do you get to do in the game? Well, you can simply play a single game, or an entire season. You can also play others in online play. One of the more well-loved portions of the game is where you can create yourself, start in high school, work your way up, get recruited, pick a team and then play for that team. It really is engaging and has lots of ways to keep the gamer involved in the game.
* If it comes out each year, what changes? As the actual game evolves, so does the video game. The option offense is supposed to be much better this year, allowing teams like Oregon to be more realistic. Also, as the capabilities of the gaming systems improve, the physics engine in the video game continues to get better. So, when a running back gets hit, he doesn’t immediately go down, he can stagger and regain his balance and continue. Cool stuff.
* What about the team rankings? They rank each team on Offense, Defense and Overall. Alabama this year has a 99 in each category, which is unheard of. The only other team with a 99 in any single category is Oregon for Offense. So, the experts at EA Sports certainly think Alabama will be formidable this year. One thing the rankings can’t consider is who may emerge as the season goes on. The year Auburn won the NC, EA Sports didn’t know Cam was going to be player that he was, so their ranking that year wasn’t reflective of their on the field success. So, you always have variances, but it is scary how the rankings are actually pretty accurate. Each year, people will simulate the entire season, letting the computer play itself and see what the results are. Some people do it hundreds of times, expecting the results to normalize over time. Those massive simulations really get it pretty right, but they can’t predict an Auburn in 2010 or a Texas A&M last year.
* So, this game is available today? Yes. It is available at all major retailers today and is $59.99.
Have fun and know that we are very close to actual football season now that this is released!