[lin_video src=http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/player.js?aspect_ratio=16x9&auto_next=1&auto_start=0&div_id=videoplayer-1380027198&height=480&page_count=5&pf_id=9624&show_title=1&va_id=4371634&width=640&windows=2 service=syndicaster width=640 height=480 div_id=videoplayer-1380027198 type=script]
BIRMINGHAM, Ala (WIAT) – The new iPhones may be all the rage, but they aren’t the only new and impressive smart phones on the market.
Tech Tuesday breaks down the latest Droid options, to help you decide what’s best for you.
The following is our tech guru, David Powell’s, conversation on these new Droid phones.
While there is plenty of talk about the new iPhones coming out, there is lots of grumbling in the market that the iPhones are no longer innovative and are only playing catch up to phones by other manufacturers. While that may not be entirely true, here are the three new Droid phones that would contribute to that argument as they are all three very, very good. Let’s explore:
* First, what is the difference in a Droid phone and the Android? The Droid phone is a brand made exclusively by Motorola for Verizon. Android is an operating system that runs on many different manufacturers phone’s.
* So, it is a Google operating system? Yes, the beauty of Android is that it allows the various manufacturers to tweak and adapt the operating system to meet their specific needs. It allows the manufacturers, like Motorola, to create differentiation with their products, yet still take advantage of the overall Android ecosystem.
* Which devices do we have with us? We have the Droid Mini, the Droid Ultra and the Droid Max. I have to say, these devices are all three very slick and have some nice features. Really, it depends on the size that you want. One of the complaints with consumers is that phones have gotten too big and are like holding a tablet to your head. Another complaint is that the screens are too small. To address both those concerns, Motorola created a line of phones that can fit the user that wants small and light to the user that wants ridiculously long batter life and a big screen.
* What did you think about these devices? First, I really like the camera features, there are some great features where you can go straight to the camera from sleep mode, share the pictures easily and take continuous pictures. Secondly, the screens are really bright and crisp while still retaining great battery life. The Max is the one you’ve probably seen advertised with “two day battery life”. While your mileage will vary depending on your use, it is definitely more than one day which people will enjoy.
* What’s the coolest feature? I have to say it is Google Now. That is kind of like Siri, but better. You can ask Google Now questions and it will answer, but also anticipates your questions. For example, if it sees in your calendar that you have a flight, it will sense you are at the airport and pull up your gate information for you automatically. Very cool. In fact, in a few weeks, we are going to do a full segment on Google Now in its newest form.
* So, you like these phones? Absolutely. As is always my advice, pick an ecosystem and stick with it. I recommend that you become an “Apple Guy” or “Android Guy” and stick with it. These are certainly compelling choices.
So, before you rush out and get the hottest new phone, know that there are lots of options out there worthy of consideration.