BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) – The travel advisory remains in effect for all state, US and interstate highways, and ALDOT advises people to avoid driving until conditions improve. Their crews are working to treat roads and bridges. Icy conditions will remain in effect for much of Wednesday, and into Thursday, making travel hazardous.
As crews continue to clear roadways, here are some traffic updates from around the area:
- Blount County EMA: County roads are still considered Impassable.
- Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office: Still gridlocked in most areas.
- St. Clair County EMA: All roads in St. Clair County are still impassable and considered very dangerous.
- Rainbow City PD: All roads within the city limits remain closed for Wednesday.
- Midfield Police: Roads still very icy; police asking motorist to avoid all roads in the area if at all possible.
- Odenville PD: Hwy 174 both ways, Old Margaret Road, and Co. Road 12 are currently deemed impassible.
- Clay County Sheriff’s Office: Most of the roads in the county have been deemed impassable.
- Alabaster PD: Due to icy conditions on the roadways, many vehicles have been left stranded on the streets throughout Alabaster. If you go to pick up your vehicle tomorrow and find it missing, please contact the Alabaster Police Department to see if it was towed. 205-663-7401.
- Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office: A portion of Choccolocco Rd is closed.
- Hueytown PD: Many roads have been closed; police ask that you stay off the roads.
- Walker County EMA: District 4 roads, located in the southeast part of the county, are closed. (UPDATE) Crews worked on 69 South during the night and they are saying it is now passable, however they still do not recommend traveling on 269 South of Parish.
- Lincoln Fire: Asking residents of the community to stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary.
- Hokes Bluff PD: roads still deemed treacherous; police asking people to stay off roads unless absolutely necessary.
- Parrish PD: All roads in Parrish have been closed.
- Chilton County: All roads closed. Drivers are becoming stranded.
- Etowah County: All roads considered impassable.
- Dora: All roads closed.
- Bibb County: All roads in Brent closed; all roads in Bibb County deemed impassable.
- Heflin PD: All city streets have been closed.
- Talladega: All roads closed.
- Pleasant Grove: All roads closed.
- Coosa County: All roads closed.
- Anniston PD: All streets within city limits have been closed.
- Hale County: All roads closed.
- Queen City Ave. at the Public Library
- Longview Dr. just South of Dogwood Ln.
- 25th Ave East between The Retreat at Lake Tamaha up to the 100 block. This area has a number of abandoned cars.
- Woodland Hills
Improved main roads, drive with caution:
- 15th St.—patches of ice present
- Highway 82 through Northport and Tuscaloosa with the exception of turn-around areas and some turn lanes
- Hargrove Rd.—patches of ice present
- Joe Mallisham Pkwy. (toll bridge)
- Interstate 20/59
- Interstate 359—many patches of ice, avoid speeds over 15 mph
- University Blvd.
- Hugh Thomas, Finnell—passable with caution
- Bryant Bridge—very icy, should be avoided if possible
- Via-ducts and smaller bridges—passable with caution
- Greensboro Ave. between Jack Warner Parkway and University Blvd—mostly ice, extremely dangerous
- Lurleen Wallace Blvd. North and South—passable with caution
- Jack Warner Parkway—passable; use caution near Nucor Steel, bridge intersection
North of the River:
- Highway 82—passable with caution
- Rice Mine Rd.—passable with caution
- Rice Valley Rd.—patches of ice present
- New Watermelon Rd.—use extreme caution near Dam
A list of additional Impassable/Closed Roads from ALDOT:
Blount County: AL 67/US 231 Miles 0 to 9
St. Clair County: AL 4/US 78 Southeast of Cooks Springs
Sumter County: AL 17 South of York in Sumter County
Tuscaloosa County: AL 7/US 11 Black Warrior River Bridge at Foster’s
Copyright 2014 WIAT-CBS42