New details in fatal Cullman campground fire

Fire

CULLMAN, Ala. (WIAT) – Steve Cozza is still haunted by the memories. Although he tried to save the life of someone who was burning alive, he says nothing could put out the gasoline-fueled blaze.

A fatal fire Friday night at a campground in Cullman claimed the lives of Erwin Owens and William and Sandra Mills.

Cozza’s family owns this Cullman campground. Friday’s fire was the first fatal fire in three decades.

Cozza and resident Mike Barker used fire extinguishers and shirts to try and put out the flames on Erwin Owens and his brother-in-law William Mills as they rolled around on the ground.

When he did talk, William Mills just wanted to know whether his wife, Sandra, was okay.

Sandra never came out of camper, which was fully engulfed in flames at the time.

Campground owners say after speaking with investigators is appears a domestic dispute could potentially be behind the fire.

Cozza says both of the men who ran out of the camper were doused in gasoline.

The details about what led to the fire are unknown at this time, but people who saw those horrific final moments say they’ll never forget it.

The State Fire Marshal’s office is still trying to figure out how the fire started.

2014 WIAT-TV CBS42

blog comments powered by Disqus