MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) – A summary of action in the Alabama Legislature on Wednesday, a committee day of the regular session:
- House Internal Affairs Committee approved an amended legislative reorganizational bill. Goes to House.
-House Ways and Means Education Committee approved a new version of the education budget that does not include a bonus for education employees. Goes to House.
- House State Government Committee approved a series of bills putting new restrictions and requirements on welfare recipients. Goes to House.
-House Commerce and Small Business Committee held a public hearing on a bill seeking an increase in the Alabama minimum wage.
-House Health Committee killed a bill restricting smoking in some businesses.
- Senate Health Committee approved a bill to extend the mandatory waiting period before an abortion from 24 to 48 hours. Goes to Senate.
-Senate Health Committee held a public hearing, but did not vote, on three other abortion restriction bills, including a bill to ban abortion once a fetal heartbeat is detected.
-Senate Health Committee approved a bill to allow trained volunteers who are school employees to administer insulin to students with diabetes. Goes to Senate.
- Senate Constitution and Elections Committee delayed action on proposed constitutional amendments that would rewrite four articles on the Alabama Constitution.
-Senate Education Committee approved a bill to let local school systems opt out of Common Core school standards. Goes to Senate.
- House meets at 9 a.m. Thursday. Senate meets at 10 a.m.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed