GADSDEN, Ala. (WIAT) — A South Gadsden man was found dead this morning after an early morning fire on Cambron Street.
Deputy Coroner Michael Head tells CBS42 News that Brandon Messer, 31, died of smoke inhalation at his home at 2804 Cambron St. Messer’s wife was returning from work about 8:20 a.m. when she saw smoke coming out of the home. Firefighters found Messer’s body about 8:30 a.m.
Messer had been living in the residence for only one day, and had apparently been trying to put out the fire that began in the living room. A pitcher of water was found when firefighters arrived. Messer was found in a bedroom of the home, between a bed and the wall. Investigators believe Messer may have become disoriented.
The Gadsden Fire Department is investigating.
Chief Stephen Carroll says the fire is being ruled accidental, and is the first fire fatality in Gadsden in almost three years.
Copyright 2014 WIAT-TV CBS42