Hazmat team responds to Children’s Hospital for acid leak

image

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — A Birmingham Fire and Rescue Hazardous Materials unit responded to Children’s Hospital Saturday afternoon after a hospital employee noticed a suspicious leak from a tub behind the hospital.

Around 2:40 p.m., the employee noticed a smell and a leak in one of the tubs on the loading dock behind the building. The chemical was a hydrogen peroxide acid, which can burn the skin if touched. The chemical was tested to make sure it wasn’t hazardous. No one was injured and hospital employees were notified of what happened.

A section of 6th Avenue South was closed for several hours, but is now reopened.

Copyright 2014 WIAT 42 News.

blog comments powered by Disqus