BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) – Eye specialists at UAB say, when it comes to shooting off fireworks, they would prefer everyone leave that up to professionals; but if you do set off your own here are a few things to remember.
- Steer clear of bottle rockets all together
- Never let kids play with any firecrackers alone, even sparklers
- Sparklers reach 1800 degrees Fahrenheit, hot enough to melt gold
- Keep a bucket of water or fire extinguisher nearby
- If you injure your eyes don’t touch them at all, go straight to the emergency room
- Re-lighting or picking up a firework that did not ignite or explode is dangerous
- Never hold a firework in your hand
- Wearing shoes is a good way to prevent any burns impacting your feet
- Pointing fireworks at another person is highly dangerous and is never good practice when handling fireworks
There are plenty of places that will handle shooting off the fireworks for you. You can find a full list of Fourth of July events here.
Copyright 2014 WIAT 42 News