PELHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — The Alabama Department of Public Health is investigating after four people who had eaten at Johnny Ray’s on Huntley Parkway tested positive for Salmonella.
Two of the patients had signs of a rare form of Salmonella called Salmonella Enteritidis.
Symptoms of salmonella include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and fever. Symptoms typically occur less than three days after eating contaminated food.
As of Jan. 8, the Johnny Ray’s restaurant was closed by emergency order, following visits by the Bureau of Environmental Services.
Dr. Mary G. McIntyre, State Epidemiologist, recommends that people reduce their Salmonella risk by:
- Avoiding raw or undercooked eggs, poultry, or meat
- Thoroughly washing produce
- Using clean plates and utensils
- Wash hands after contact with animals, animal feces
The investigation is ongoing and final test results will be available at a later date.
Copyright 2016 WIAT 42 News