PELL CITY, Ala. (WIAT) — Just last week, a fire destroyed a home in Pell City. Thankfully, no one was inside that home.
The fire broke out on January 21st. WIAT42 spoke exclusively with the Singleton family. Tuesday was the first time they had been back to the site of the fire. The young couple said all it took was 17 minutes for the fire to destroy the entire home. The couple say it was an electrical issue. They unplugged everything, but it was the broken breaker that sparked the fire.
“In 15 minutes, we come back to this,” said C.J. Singleton.
Through the mixture of emotions, all the couple was able to do was save their pets and watch their first home crumble.
“It was gone. There was nothing we could do,” Singleton said.
All they could do was call 911. Fires have kept emergency responders across the state extremely busy this year. Alabama has had 20 fatal fires so far. That’s more than double the amount this time last year.
“We’ve had the worst string of fires I think I’ve ever seen on the news and this by far, I just never thought I’d be the next one,” said Singleton.
They thankfully walked away with their lives. Now they share their experience to help prevent others from going through the same thing.
“I would recommend to everyone if you have second guesses about your electrical, make to call the electrician. I honestly feel if we would have made one little step extra, pushed for electricity to get fixed, this could have been avoided,” said Singleton.
The couple says for their next home, they will be sure to have a certified technician come in to make sure everything is working properly.
The family has set up a GoFundMe account. Anyone that would like to donate, CLICK HERE.
Copyright 2016 WIAT CBS 42