BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — UPDATE: Fire Chief Gordon says the fire was accidental and started in the wood shop while employees made fiberglass molds.
ORIGINAL: Birmingham firefighters have wrapped up the scene of a three-alarm blaze at a business that was at one point out of control.
The business is called Reliable Formed Plastics and is on the 900 block of 2nd Ave North.
Birmingham Fire and Rescue received the call at around 2:17 p.m., and dispatched vehicles to put out the blaze, according to Fire Captain Tyrone Fornest. Jefferson County EMA also responded to the scene.
Reliable Formed Plastics business fire
Reliable Formed Plastics is a company that manufactures vacuum-formed products for food/beverage, retail, marine, aerospace, technology and healthcare applications, according to their website.
The businesses around Reliable Formed Plastics were evacuated, and Birmingham Fire and Rescue has confirmed that it is a three-alarm fire. In a three-alarm fire situation, BFR involves nine engine companies, three truck companies and 45 individuals, according to Fornest. Around 3:26 p.m., there were about 60 firefighters on the scene.
According to Fornest, the fire started on the far, north side of the building in the wood shop where they make formed fiberglass. There are two truck companies that are fully engaged, and they are applying water from up top and on the ground. The fire department is in a defensive mode, having pulled all the personnel out of the building.
There are about eight employees that work at the building, and everyone evacuated safely with no injuries, according to Fornest.
Alabama Red Cross arrived on the scene at around 6 p.m., giving snacks, water and meals to Birmingham emergency services at the scene of the fire, according to their twitter.