BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Doctors at UAB hospital tell CBS 42 they’ve treated five burn cases related to e-cigarettes over the past year.
Dr. Chandra Ellis, director of the Burn program at UAB said two patients had such severe burns that they required surgery. They told her they had e-cigarettes in their pockets
“It ignited, there was a flame in their pocket and they put it out. However it burned their skin,” said Ellis.
Another patient had a fractured jaw and broken tooth.
Robby Heenan is a sales associate at Vendetta Vapes and said e-cigarettes are safe.
“They are completely safe–specially the new ones that are designed,” said Heenan.
Heenan said buying a quality product that is a new model is a key to safety.
“It has regulators that keep it from overheating and over draining the battery–that is what prevents the user error and prevents people from having the accident with their vape, the safety features they installed,” said Heenan.
Heenan said education is also crucial.
“I try to give all safety information I can. I tell them how to properly use it hard to charge it, take care of it because if more people knew actually how to use them I think there would be a lot less injury,” said Heenan.