BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — UPDATE: The landing of the apartments is badly damaged. There is water damage in the lower apartments and some smoke damage in other apartments.
ORIGINAL: Birmingham firefighters were called to the scene of an apartment fire on Huffman Road around 10:30 a.m. on Monday.
Crews were able to get the flames under control quickly. At least two units were involved.
Firefighters say the fire started after unattended food was left on the stove.
We have a crew at the scene working to get more information.